Clean air. Clean campus.
On July 1, 2013 the USM Board of Regents required all USM institutions, including UMBC, to provide a healthy, smoke-free environment for all. We appreciate your support and assistance to make our campus community healthier for all who study, work, or visit here.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Smoking is not permitted on institution grounds and property, including walkways, parking lots, and recreational and athletic areas.
- All use of electronic smoking devices have been prohibited indoors. This includes academic buildings, residence halls, athletic stadiums, and any institutional building.
- Individuals found in violation of the new policy will be subject to a $50 fine.
- Enforcement is everyone’s responsibility. If you see someone smoking on campus please politely inform them of the new policy. If you do not feel comfortable approaching someone violating the policy, we ask that you report the incident.
- If you would like to stop smoking, University Health Services offers free visits with a medical provider who will provide support and discuss various options for quitting.
- If you choose to smoke, the campus has provided two designated areas removed from major pedestrian traffic. To locate our designated smoking shelters, please see our campus map.